The secondary terpenes found in marijuana are as follows:
- Sabinene has a woody flavor with spicy, peppery notes. It has been shown to aid digestion, relieve arthritis and soothe skin conditions.
- Phellandrene is known for its peppermint flavor, with slight citrus notes. It possesses antidepressantproperties.
- Borneol has a minty aroma and is found in high concentrations in herbs such as rosemary and mint. It has both anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects.
- Isoborneol has a sweet and musty flavor; also found in mugwort, isoborneol exhibits antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, and it inhibits the herpes simplex type 1 virus, which causes cold sores.
- Phytol results from the breakdown of a green pigment called chlorophyll. It has a floral, balsamic flavor and demonstrates sedative and anti-anxiety effects through inhibiting the activity of an enzyme that degrades GABA, which is a chemical found in the brain.